Requests for Urgent Prescriptions
The Practice has a repeat medications policy, which states that we will process all requests for prescriptions and provide a prescription within 2 working days.
We receive large numbers of these urgent requests on a daily basis. Many medications can safely be missed for a few days; Urgent prescription requests are requests for emergency medication which are needed within 24 hours to prevent the you from becoming seriously ill. Urgent prescription requests are not requests for medication which have been ordered late as it is your responsibility to ensure that repeat prescription requests are ordered in time. Items which can be bought over the counter at the pharmacy or for non-urgent medication will not be issued a prescription if an urgent request has been made. This will ensure safe prescribing and optimize access to the clinical team.
The practice has made a decision that unless your request falls within a certain narrow range of emergency drugs (shown below) then your request will be processed following the repeat prescribing policy. This system should not be used routinely.
The following are regarded as emergency drugs:
- Epileptic medication e.g. sodium Valproate, Levetiracetam, Lamotrigine, Phenytoin
- Salbutamol inhaler
- Adrenaline for Anaphylaxis e.g. EpiPen, Emerade, Jext
- Palliative patients requiring end of life medicines
- Anticoagulants - Warfarin/DOACs especially for PE or DVT
- Antipsychotics e.g. Olanzapine, Risperidone, Quetiapine, Aripiprazole
- Prescription following discharge from hospital
- Skin creams for Eczema/Psoriasis/Acne/Dry skin
- High blood pressure/Cholesterol tablets
- Oral Diabetic Medication
- Preventer Inhalers
- Eye/ear/Nasal drops
- Nutritional supplements/vitamin tablets/iron
- Sleeping tablets/regular painkillers
- Oral contraception
Thank you for your patience and understanding.